Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Solar Lagoons!!!!

Well, not sure what a "solar lagoon" would be like, but this post is about a beautiful volcanic lagoon I visited last weekend, and my 12 hour day helping to kick off the installation of a solar water pump project. Both very cool adventures! I'll start with the Lagoon...

LAGUNA DE APOYO

Here is a shot of the lagoon from way up on the crest of the former volcano. It's hard to see, but in the distance, in the center, lies the city of Granada in the shadow of Volcan Mombacho pictured below. Following is a shot from the shore of the lagoon. We spent the day here as guests of the "Monkey Hut" hostel, so we were surrounded by fellow travelers, and got to use the hostel's inner tubes and kayaks. I took a kayak out for a spin and it was GREAT! I love kayaking and was even cooler to be doing it on a lake that goes as deep as 600 FEET. Kinda scary, but very cool.

Below and to the right is a picture of one of the many BEAUTIFUL, strong, and most majestic horses I've ever seen! We came upon the end of a parade while looking for mountain-top restaurant to eat dinner at, and all the "caballeros" (cowboys) were loading up the horses, or taking them for a final trot around.
The man on the horse apparently lives in Managua and has his stables not too far from there. He invited me and whoever, to go riding someday. He even asked if I wanted to hop on there and then! Although it's not out of the realm of possibilities for me to do something like that, I was in my shorts and flip flops, and the horse was rather hot to trot, so thought "better to do this in a ring!" Regardless, I was starstruck by this...these horses are NOT the scraggly mule types you see around. I think these men are professional riders and participate in fairs for part of their wages. So cool!

So, all in all this day was a great one...and helped me sink further into my current reality of being in a warm, beautiful, fresh, and interesting country! Days like this balance out with the trips to the campo, even if they're just day trips, like today. We went to the village of "El Jocote," about a 2 hour drive from the office here in Managua, to prep the community for their solar water pump system. I will be part of this project from beginning to end, taking notes on the progress, and learning a lot about project management through it all!

EL JOCOTE

I just liked the look of this guy above. We stopped to ask him how much further we had to drive until we got to the point where we'd park the car and walk into the village of "El Jocote." The guy driving is Jaime, the founder and president of the AsoFenix (the Nicaraguan NGO I am working with).

And here is a shot of us walking into the village of "El Jocote" with the men carrying the materials to measure the well depth and pumping rate. Today's goal was to figure out how much water could be pumped sustainably, without drying out the well too much.

When we finally arrived at the "pozo" (well), we saw a very common scene: a young woman pumping water by hand to bring back to her house (above, left). Once full, she put the heavy bucket on her head (above, right) and walked back up and over the hill to her home (below, left). Then, like magic, we cracked the top of the well (below, right) and started on a system powered by the SUN that will, eventually, relieve her of this heavy burden.

Men, women, and children looked on as the team of engineers stuck their meters into the well and pumped water out to measure see the flow rate. It is certain that the presence of the engineers and "gringas," and the beginning of a life-changing installation was the event of the day...and maybe the week (????)

We also checked on a "weather station" that was installed about a year ago. The weather station is helpful to farmers, and the community as a whole therefore, by measuring rainfall, barometric pressure, and temperature. Gladly, it was in good condition, doing well!


Above, right, is what I think a very cool "digital macro" shot of one of my favorite flowers here- the hibiscus- a it's cool speckled yellow/green leaves.

To round it out, a few things/people I also liked from todays outing, in order:

A little 6 yr. old boy I became fast friends with. He excitedly showed me the rooster feather he found and insisted I take a photo. He then proceeded to grab my hand with his little hand so that I could walk with him to each site we visited...and melted my heart- soooo cute!

Next, a funky fruit tree that I forget the name of, but I liked how it looked with the branches and leaves there...

Following is one typical style of house here. This one was a bit fancier, I think, because it has the Spanish tile roof :)

Beside the house is one of the men of community and his little daughter. It was so endearing to see him holding her there as she chewed her fingers, and watched all the commotion!

Next down, in the last row, is my little friend ( I can't remember his name becuase he mumbled it and it was a unique one!) and I after the community meeting. He sat next to me the whole time while Jaime explained the aspects of the project and fielded questions from the people.

Following,all the kids took over BOTH swing sets and were swinging away in the afternoon sun with themountains before and behind them...It was such a sweet scene as they laughed and laughed andlaughed...

Lastly is my little friend (I can't remember his name because he mumbledit and it was a unique one!) and I after the community meeting. He sat next to me the wholetime while Jaime explained the aspects of the project and fielded questions from the people.




4 comments:

  1. love the adventure, living it vicariously thru u right now. thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got to read this just now! LOVE the exquisite shots of Laguna de Apoyo! Sounds like you had a great day there. I always love seeing those show horses too. I think they bring them out when a town celebrates its patron saint day...other times too. The project in the campo village is a good one. They still transport water like they did in Biblical times....so great that you can transform this pozo with solar energy. Your little friend is adorable. I especially like the photo of him with you, of course. You look beautiful and happy. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heartie,

    Fabulous posting.
    How many gallons per minute does the pump put out?
    Could we use something like it for our pool?
    I hope so.

    Glad you’re having fun and doing “good”. Once that pump is operational it will make a huge positive difference for the community! No more buckets on heads!

    Love,

    Marc

    ReplyDelete